Saturday, June 6, 2009

10 more days!

And here I thought I wasn't going to get in a 10 day post!

I just finished a writing assignment for the class that's associated with the Peru portion of Journey to South America. We have five due before we go, and I have really let them sneak up on me. We are assigned a variety of readings, and then a commentary under three pages on the associated topic. Tonight, it was "Rural and Urban Politics and Poverty". And Peru definitely has an interesting political history, to say the least. And I'm glad that I'm not walking in blind like the stereotypical "dumb American". But it is a LOT of reading. And some of the content is of questionable relevance (in my opinion). And reading on a deadline just ruins it.

And I'm just your typical college student complaining about having too much work : )

And now I'm back from re-uploading my paper, after realizing I hadn't spell-checked. Whoopsie.

Anywho, I really have enjoyed most of the readings chosen, and I've learned some interesting things. For instance, did you know that Peru/Lima has great Chinese food? I would wager that it's somehow related to the import of Chinese "workers" to replace the African slaves after slavery was abolished. Also, we had an excerpt from José Maria Arguedas's Deep Waters, which I now must read in full. Honestly, the introduction alone had me hooked. I think I must be part Inca at heart, because the description of how nature is tied to the people is just so beautiful and moving to me. If I'm brave, I might even try reading it in the original Spanish... But only if I'm really brave, as Arguedas wrote in Spanish from the Quechua (native Inca language) perspective, that is, using Spanish words with Quechua syntax. Only a little confusing...

Well, I must end this now, so it is published before my title becomes a lie!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting that paper done early!
    Your love of nature and people ... maybe it is connected to the longline of Czech farmers, Okie land-running women, cowboys, gardeners, etc of which you are part. Buen suerte of your exciting adventure in South America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda mentioned your blog to me, but I was using www....Glad to find it!! I love your list of blogs you follow. Wow. I'm in brilliant company. Kind of like an standardized test: Which of these is different? Jenx67. She's the one not making any money blogging. hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks Jen! Hey, at least some of those started out not-for-profit, so I think you're okay : ) There's always time to develop, like I would totally buy a shirt/bag with a generic version of the ice cream poem!

    ReplyDelete